Friday, September 05, 2008

Here are my responses to the cheeesetoast omnivore's 100...foodie funtime from my dear cousin's blog.

So, this is what I have (green) and haven't tried. Red is what I absolutely won't eat.

1. Venison - somehow escaped Reno without trying this one
2. Nettle tea - not a big tea drinker
3. Huevos rancheros - yum yum yum, where's the chilaquiles?
4. Steak tartare - I've seen people eat it in Ethiopian restaurants, but never been bold enough.
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding - eh?
7. Cheese fondue - delish and so fun
8. Carp - what my mother does.
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush - touched by the eggplant gods
11. Calamari - love it, great with garlic aioli from cha cha cha
12. Pho - occasionally, like the fish balls.
13. PB&J sandwich - boring, but comfy
14. Aloo Gobi - from those instant indian foil packets...yum.
15. Hot dog from a street cart - all wrapped in bacon...not yet, have to wait for a hungry night.
16. Epoisses - ?
17. Black truffle
18. Fruit wine (not from grapes) - drinking framboise at cafe du nord with my old friend K..
19. Steamed pork buns - pork bao, had these for lunch last week.
20. Pistachio ice cream - from scoops, these combos are fantastic. Pistachio-rosewater-honey-lavender-poppyseed-lemon...omg!
21. Heirloom tomatoes -
22. Fresh wild berries– oh, joy!
23. Foie gras -
24. Rice and beans - a staple, next to some enchiladas or chile rellenos.
25. Brawn or head cheese - never had the pleasure.
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper -
27. Dulce de leche - whether ice cream or cake, it's great.
28. Oysters - love love, will eat raw, steamed, even tinned if I'm desperate for fish o'clock.
29. Baklava - oh, succulent honey.
30. Bagna cauda - not sure what this is.
31. Wasabi peas - so addictive until your sinuses blow out.
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl - the CalArts cafeteria does this unexpectedly well.
33. Salted lassi - mango, great, haven't had salty.
34. Sauerkraut - oh yeah. With reubens, sausages, even plop by itself.
35. Root beer float - these don't do that much for me.
36. Cognac with a fat cigar - Cognac's swoony, but cigars, blech.
37. Clotted cream tea
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O - oh, but of course.
39. Gumbo - had it in Massachussets, I think. Or was that Jambalaya?
40. Oxtail - at this Filipino place in Valencia...tasty. I especially liked picking out the savory little meaty bits.
41. Curried goat - I would love to try this, curry anything is wonderwall for me
42. Whole insect - No no no.
43. Phaal - Not sure what this is.
44. Goat’s milk - how about goat cheese?
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more - my glass is waiting...anticipating...
46. Fugu - que?
47. Chicken Tikka Masala - craving has increased, thanks Lolo!
48. Eel - sushi fun
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut - donuts make me hyper-crash-barf, not a fan.
50. Sea urchin - my favorite sushi, just melts like ocean.
51. Prickly pear - nopales cactus in tacos.
52. Umeboshi - japanese sour plum...great in sushi, as well.
53. Abalone
54. Paneer - anyway, anyday, spinach puree will save the day.
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal - yuck, yuck, and yuck. I'll stick with the ramen.
56. Spaetzle - sort of bland, texture like a brain.
57. Dirty gin martini - yes, please. Green olives remind me of grandpa.
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine
60. Carob chips - Mom was always pushing these...they're alright, but they're not chocolate.
61. S’mores - really, not into it. The marshmellow always gets burnt, and some little kid spits on it to put it out, and then they expect auntie angie to eat it - nope.
62. Sweetbreads
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst - is this a sausage?
65. Durian - isn't this Beyonce's little girls clothing line? The one with the high heels? I would not eat that.
66. Frogs’ legs - I would, if I ever came accross one on a menu.
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake - yes, yes, yes, and no.
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain - this is one of my favorite foods ever, I'm having it at the wedding if I can.
70. Chitterlings or andouillette -
71. Gazpacho - I make this from scratch, and it is amazing. Kind of like a big bloody mary sans vodka.
72. Caviar and blini - tried once, yes, then my hand got sliced open with the champagne bottle when the limo swerved. Oh, San Francisco.
73. Louche absinthe - Got my Mark Ryden bunny tattoo the night a friend imported this from Prague. We made martinis...but I never saw the green fairy.
74. Gjetost or brunost
75. Roadkill - I'm with Lolo, here. Do not want.
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie - just seems gross
78. Snail - under the right circumstances...i.e., garlic, wine sauce, I would eat this and like it.
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini - Very curious, would like to try.
81. Tom yum - kha or gai, best cold cure. I love crushing the lemon grass with my teeth.
82. Eggs Benedict - nice.
83. Pocky - ever try men's pocky. I gave my cousin this one year.
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare - the littlest bunny? oh, shucks. Sounds kind of tasty in a stew, tho.
87. Goulash
88. Flowers - I like to nibble rose petals as I walk around.
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab - yum
93. Rose harissa - ?
94. Catfish - had at the Delta in Portland
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox - lovely, also done well by the CalArts cafeteria.
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta - kind of overrated, or maybe I'm cooking it wrong.
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake - scared of these critters.

So, that's more than you ever wanted to know about my tastes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this post Andrea!
You should try the FUGU.
There's a place in L.A. called
"Ginza". Be prepared w/a very high
end bill. If you ever have the op
of having somebody w/money treat you--recomend it! I had Fugu
prepared 3 different ways there. Delishioso. The thing is there is a mortality rate that does go fork in mouth w/FUGU so have fun being a nervous wreck!